Friday, November 7, 2008

Being Grateful and Positive

It was about four years ago when my brother was accepted in one of prominent universities in Indonesia, ITB (Bandung Institute of Technology) . He chose Architecture as the field of study. The thing is, he did not register it through general test which was held by government, but he registered it through autonomous test held by ITB, which was more expensive.

Once he got the news, in hesitation he asked me what to do. I had been silent for a moment before finally I came up with some questions. "What did you write in the essay test?" I asked him. "I stated that my hobbies were drawing and sketching, and I felt that I could give the most out of myself in Architecture." He claimed.

"Then take it!"
"You like drawing and now you are an architecture student, isn't it perfect?"
"I know that you still want to challenge yourself by passing the government's test and paying cheaper registration fee."

"Uhm...ehm..." He mumbled.

"I tell you what, a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".

Then he said "Maybe you're right, there's no guarantee that I will pass the test". After that I convinced him to not worry about the money, just being a good student will surely pay everything. For the greater good sometimes you have to consider that a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Good luck :)



Idiom to notice : a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.